Can American Bulldogs Be Guard Dogs?
Thinking to own an American Bulldog puppy and need to know whether an American Bulldog can be a good guard dog or if American Bulldogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, American Bulldogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
Good Watchdog Ability: This dog will bark and alert its owners when an intruder is present. If a situation escalates, the dog can be depended on to defend and protect its owner and family.
Training an American Bulldog To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog just simply notifies their owner to someone approaching their home. Even when your pet dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make terrific watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are really watchful of their surroundings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a great choice for novice canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are outstanding guard dogs that will notify their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any unusual activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the inexperienced owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
American Bulldog Information
The essential characteristics of the American Bulldog are those which enable it to work as a hog and cattle catching dog, and a protector of personal property. These tasks require a powerful, agile, confident dog with a large head and powerful jaws. The American Bulldog is a gentle, loving family companion who is fearless enough to face an angry bull or a human intruder. Note: It is common for young American Bulldogs to be somewhat standoffish with strangers, and judges should not penalize this. By the time the dog is around 18 months of age, however, the breed’s normal confidence asserts itself.
What to do if you lose your American Bulldog
If your American Bulldog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Visit the nearby vets to see if someone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost American Bulldog
If you find a American Bulldog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Shelter near to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who usually scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.