Can American English Coonhounds Be Guard Dogs?
Looking to adopt an American English Coonhound puppy and want to know whether an American English Coonhound can be a good guard dog or if American English Coonhound Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to dog trainers, American English Coonhound Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an American English Coonhound To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog simply alarms their owner to someone approaching their house. Even though your pet dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are very observant of their surroundings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make exceptional watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for inexperienced dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are great guard dogs that will notify their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly notify their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the beginner owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
American English Coonhound Information
He is an ideal partner to go running or cycling with. They need mental and physical stimulation to keep them occupied, fit and healthy. He will enjoy both a jog in the park as well as a nap on the couch. Keep in mind, these dogs are prey-driven and should always be walked on a leash. This hound needs a firm, but kind, hand for successful training. The American English Coonhound takes more time to train, repetition and patience are the name of the game. This breed can be easily distracted more so than the other Coonhound breeds. They need consistent and gentle guidance during training. Start training this breed early and your training work is lifelong.
What to do if you lose your American English Coonhound
If your American English Coonhound Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Contact the nearby vet clinics to see if someone has brought in your lost pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost American English Coonhound
If you find a American English Coonhound Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound near to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.