Can American Pit Bull Terriers Be Guard Dogs?
Considering to own an American Pit Bull Terrier puppy and want to know whether an American Pit Bull Terrier can be a good watch dog or if American Pit Bull Terrier Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to dog trainers, American Pit Bull Terrier Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an American Pit Bull Terrier To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog basically alerts their owner to someone coming close to their home. Even though your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make wonderful watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are very watchful of their surroundings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a good choice for novice dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are excellent guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any uncommon activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the rookie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
American Pit Bull Terrier Information
The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.
What to do if you lose your American Pit Bull Terrier
If your American Pit Bull Terrier Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Call the local vets to see if anyone has handed in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost American Pit Bull Terrier
If you find a American Pit Bull Terrier Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Shelter near to your suburb.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet who usually scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.