Can American Staffordshire Terriers Be Guard Dogs?
Looking to adopt an American Staffordshire Terrier puppy and wondering whether an American Staffordshire Terrier can be a good watch dog or if American Staffordshire Terrier Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, American Staffordshire Terrier Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an American Staffordshire Terrier To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog basically notifies their owner to somebody approaching their property. Even when your pet dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make great watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are quite observant of their environments and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a great choice for rookie canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are exceptional guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alert their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the inexperienced owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
American Staffordshire Terrier Information
Typically docile and playful with its family, the American Staffordshire terrier is also generally friendly toward strangers as long as its owners are present. It is generally very good with children. It is a protective breed and can be aggressive toward other dogs — especially those that challenge it. It is stubborn, tenacious and fearless. For all of its tough persona, the most important thing in life to this breed is its owner's fond attention.
What to do if you lose your American Staffordshire Terrier
If your American Staffordshire Terrier Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Visit the local vet clinics to see if anyone has brought in your lost pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost American Staffordshire Terrier
If you find a American Staffordshire Terrier Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Contact the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet Clinic who usually scan the animal’s microchip and locate the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.