Can American Staghounds Be Guard Dogs?
Looking to get an American Staghound puppy and want to know whether an American Staghound can be a good guard dog or if American Staghound Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to dog trainers, American Staghound Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an American Staghound To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog basically alerts their owner to someone approaching their house. Even though your dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make terrific watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are really observant of their settings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a good choice for amateur pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are excellent guard dogs that will inform their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alert their owners to any uncommon activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the newbie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
American Staghound Information
American Staghounds are generally gentle, calm and affectionate with their family. Due to the American Staghound's hunting heritage, the breed usually does poorly as guard dogs as the American Staghound is seldom territorial.
What to do if you lose your American Staghound
If your American Staghound Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Call the nearby vets to see if anyone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost American Staghound
If you find a American Staghound Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Shelter near to your suburb.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.