Can Basset Hounds Be Guard Dogs?
Considering to own a Basset Hound puppy and need to know whether a Basset Hound can be a good watch dog or if Basset Hound Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, Basset Hound Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Basset Hound To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely alerts their owner to someone approaching their house. Even though your pet dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make excellent watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are very watchful of their surroundings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make exceptional watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a great choice for novice pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are superb guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly notify their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the inexperienced owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
Basset Hound Information
The basset hound is among the most good-natured and easygoing of breeds. It is amiable with dogs, other pets and children, although children must be cautioned not to put strain on its back with their games. It is calm inside, but it needs regular exercise to keep fit. It prefers to investigate slowly, and loves to sniff and trail. It is a talented and determined tracker, not easily dissuaded from its course. Because of this, it may get on a trail and follow it until it becomes lost. It tends to be stubborn and slow-moving. It has a loud bay that it uses when excited on the trail.
What to do if you lose your Basset Hound
If your Basset Hound Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the lost pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Phone the nearby vets to see if someone has handed in your missing pet.
4. Telephone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Basset Hound
If you find a Basset Hound Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Shelter assigned to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and call the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.