Bulgarian Shepherd Dog Physical Appearance
Wanting to own a Bulgarian Shepherd Dog and want to know what is the general appearance of Bulgarian Shepherd Dog or what are the popular colours of a Bulgarian Shepherd Dog?
Know more details about the colors, weight and height of Bulgarian Shepherd Dogs from this page.
Consider the personality traits and appearance of the Bulgarian Shepherd Dog, as this breed is not for everyone. Use this information below to see if a Bulgarian Shepherd Dog would suit your lifestyle and household.
- Male: 26-30 inches (65-75 cm)
- Female: 25-28 inches (63-72 cm)
- Male: 99-125 pounds (45-57 kg)
- Female: 88-114 pounds (40-52 kg)
Size of Bulgarian Shepherd Dog: The Bulgarian Shepherd Dog is a medium sized dog.
Height of Bulgarian Shepherd Dog:
Weight of Bulgarian Shepherd Dog:
The Common Colours of Bulgarian Shepherd Dogs
Bulgarian Shepherd Dog Information
In the past, this mountain dog was widely used in Bulgaria as a border army watchdog. Nowadays it is used primarily as a livestock guardian dog and property guard dog. The most numerous populations of working purebred livestock guarding Karakachan dogs are found in Bulgaria and the United States. The Karakachan was officially approved as a Bulgarian old native breed in 2005. The Karakachan dog may be a descendant of ancient Balkan domestic dogs, possibly since the time of the Thracians. In ancient Thracian treasures, figures were found of big, longhaired guardian dogs with curled tails. The Karachan is part of the origin of the Bulgarian Shepherd dog, with which it should not be confused.
What to do if you lose your Bulgarian Shepherd Dog
If your Bulgarian Shepherd Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the lost pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Call the nearby vet clinics to see if someone has brought in your lost pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Bulgarian Shepherd Dog
If you find a Bulgarian Shepherd Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.