Can Chihuahuas Be Guard Dogs?
Looking to adopt a Chihuahua puppy and need to know whether a Chihuahua can be a good guard dog or if Chihuahua Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, Chihuahua Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Chihuahua To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely notifies their owner to somebody approaching their house. Even though your dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are very watchful of their surroundings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a great choice for novice canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are fantastic guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the newbie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
The saucy Chihuahua has earned its place as a favored toy dog because of its intense devotion to a single person. It is reserved with strangers but good with other household dogs and pets. Some try to be protective, but they are not very effective. Some may be quite bold; others may be timid. It is often temperamental. Some bark.
What to do if you lose your Chihuahua
If your Chihuahua Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Contact the nearby vets to see if anyone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Call the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Chihuahua
If you find a Chihuahua Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Pound near to your suburb.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and call the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.