Can Dalmatians Be Guard Dogs?
Wanting to adopt a Dalmatian puppy and wondering whether a Dalmatian can be a good watch dog or if Dalmatian Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, Dalmatian Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Dalmatian To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog simply alarms their owner to somebody approaching their property. Even when your pet dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make great watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are very watchful of their environments and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a great choice for novice pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are excellent guard dogs that will inform their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alert their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the rookie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
The Dalmatian makes a good playmate for children, although it may be a little too rambunctious for smaller children. Dalmatians get along well with other dogs or household pets, though it is should be socialized as a puppy if possible. The Dalmatian is naturally fond of humans and horses. The Dalmatian can be watchful around strangers.
What to do if you lose your Dalmatian
If your Dalmatian Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Contact the local vets to see if anyone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Dalmatian
If you find a Dalmatian Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Contact the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet who can scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.