Can English Cocker Spaniels Be Guard Dogs?
Thinking to get an English Cocker Spaniel puppy and need to know whether an English Cocker Spaniel can be a good watch dog or if English Cocker Spaniel Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, English Cocker Spaniel Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an English Cocker Spaniel To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely alerts their owner to somebody approaching their home. Even if your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are really observant of their settings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a great choice for novice pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are impressive guard dogs that will inform their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly signal their owners to any unusual activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the newbie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
English Cocker Spaniel Information
The English Cocker Spaniel is merry, affectionate and even-tempered. They are easily-trained, are willing workers and excellent companions. They exhibit enthusiasm in the field, accompanied by an incessant action of the tail. Dogs exhibiting sluggish or hyper-active temperaments are to be faulted. They exhibit balance, both in motion and while standing. The head is especially characteristic of the breed, having a brainy appearance indicating high intelligence. The muzzle is also distinctive. The whole is always to be of primary consideration rather than any of the parts. Exaggeration of any of the parts is to be faulted.
What to do if you lose your English Cocker Spaniel
If your English Cocker Spaniel Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Telephone the local vets to see if someone has handed in your missing pet.
4. Call the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost English Cocker Spaniel
If you find a English Cocker Spaniel Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Shelter near to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who usually scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.