Can English Toy Spaniels Be Guard Dogs?
Thinking to own an English Toy Spaniel puppy and need to know whether an English Toy Spaniel can be a good watch dog or if English Toy Spaniel Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, English Toy Spaniel Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training an English Toy Spaniel To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog just simply informs their owner to somebody approaching their property. Even if your pet dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make excellent watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are quite watchful of their settings and will alert their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a large German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for novice pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are outstanding guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any uncommon activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the rookie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
English Toy Spaniel Information
The King Charles is a friendly breed, to the extent that it is not typically as suitable as a watchdog as some breeds, though it may still bark to warn its owners of an approaching visitor. It is not a high energy breed, and enjoys the company of family members, being primarily a lapdog. Although able to bond well with children and tolerant of them, it will not accept rough handling. It prefers not to be left alone for long periods. Known as one of the quietest toy breeds, it is suitable for apartment living. The breed can tolerate other pets well, although the King Charles still has the hunting instincts of its ancestors and may not always be friendly towards smaller animals. It is intelligent enough to be used for obedience work and, due to its stable temperament, it can be a successful therapy dog for hospitals and nursing homes.
What to do if you lose your English Toy Spaniel
If your English Toy Spaniel Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Phone the local vet clinics to see if anyone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Call the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost English Toy Spaniel
If you find a English Toy Spaniel Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound near to your suburb.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.