Can Hokkaido Dogs Be Guard Dogs?
Thinking to get a Hokkaido Dog puppy and wondering whether a Hokkaido Dog can be a good watch dog or if Hokkaido Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to dog trainers, Hokkaido Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Hokkaido Dog To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely alerts their owner to someone coming close to their property. Even when your pet dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are quite watchful of their environments and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make exceptional watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a large German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a great choice for rookie pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are outstanding guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly notify their owners to any uncommon activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the beginner owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
Hokkaido Dog Information
The breed is known for fidelity to its owner, bravery, and the ability to withstand the cold, among other traits. It has an innate sense of direction and smell, and can therefore return to its master no matter how great the distance. Temperament will vary depending on the lineage and region of upbringing. They are good with children if they are raised with them from puppyhood and/or properly socialized. Children should be taught how to display leadership skills, and the dog should be taught to respect the child.
What to do if you lose your Hokkaido Dog
If your Hokkaido Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Telephone the local vet clinics to see if anyone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Hokkaido Dog
If you find a Hokkaido Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound near to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet who normally scan the animal’s microchip and call the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.