Can Kuvaszs Be Guard Dogs?
Thinking to own a Kuvasz puppy and wondering whether a Kuvasz can be a good watch dog or if Kuvasz Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to dog trainers, Kuvasz Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
Great Watchdog Ability: This dog will bark and alert its owners when an intruder is present. It exhibits very protective behavior, acts fearless toward any aggressor, and will do what it takes to guard and protect its family.
Training a Kuvasz To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog basically alerts their owner to someone approaching their house. Even if your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make excellent watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are really observant of their surroundings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a great choice for amateur canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are impressive guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any uncommon activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the beginner owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
Despite its sweet looks, the kuvasz is a tough protector, fearlessly defending its family or home. It is gentle with and protective of children in its own family, but it may misinterpret a child's rough-and-tumble games with other children as attacks on its child. It is reserved with strangers and may be aggressive toward strange dogs; however, it tends to be very gentle with other pets and livestock. It is devoted and loyal but not very demonstrative. Some can be domineering.
What to do if you lose your Kuvasz
If your Kuvasz Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Phone the local vet clinics to see if someone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Telephone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Kuvasz
If you find a Kuvasz Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Shelter assigned to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who can scan the animal’s microchip and call the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.