Can Landseers Be Guard Dogs?
Looking to adopt a Landseer puppy and need to know whether a Landseer can be a good watch dog or if Landseer Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to our chart, Landseer Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Landseer To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog simply informs their owner to somebody approaching their house. Even if your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make excellent watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are really observant of their surroundings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for inexperienced canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are superb guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any uncommon activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the inexperienced owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
The Landseer Newfoundland dog is known for its sweet disposition, gentleness, and serenity. They enjoy swimming and tend to drool, though not as much as some other giant breeds. While the Landseer European Continental Type is also sweet, affectionate and enjoys swimming, it is quite different from the Landseer Newfoundland in regard to response, agility and speed.
What to do if you lose your Landseer
If your Landseer Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the lost pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Telephone the local vet clinics to see if someone has handed in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Landseer
If you find a Landseer Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who usually scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.