Newfoundland Physical Appearance
Thinking to adopt a Newfoundland Dog and want to know what is the general appearance of Newfoundland or what are the popular colours of a Newfoundland?
Know more details about the colors, weight and height of Newfoundland Dogs from this page.
Consider the personality traits and appearance of the Newfoundland, as this breed is not for everyone. Use this information below to see if a Newfoundland would suit your lifestyle and household.
- Male: 27-29 inches (69-74 cm)
- Female: 25-27 inches (63-69 cm)
- Male: 130-150 pounds (59-68 kg)
- Female: 100-120 pounds (45-54 kg)
Size of Newfoundland: The Newfoundland Dog is a large to giant sized dog.
Height of Newfoundland:
Weight of Newfoundland:
- White & Black
The Common Colours of Newfoundland Dogs
The Newfoundland dog is known for its calm and docile nature and its strength. They are highly loyal and make ideal working dogs. It is for this reason that this breed is known as "the gentle giant". International kennel clubs generally describe the breed as having a sweet temper. It typically has a deep bark, and is easy to train if started young. They are wonderfully good with children, but small children can get accidentally leaned on and knocked down. Newfoundlands are ideal companions in the world of therapy and are often referred to as the nanny dog. The breed was memorialized in "Nana", the beloved guardian dog in J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. The Newfoundland in general is good with other animals, but its size can cause problems if it is not trained.
What to do if you lose your Newfoundland
If your Newfoundland Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Visit the nearby vets to see if anyone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Newfoundland
If you find a Newfoundland Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound near to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet Clinic who usually scan the animal’s microchip and phone the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.