Can Picardy Spaniels Be Guard Dogs?
Considering to own a Picardy Spaniel puppy and wondering whether a Picardy Spaniel can be a good watch dog or if Picardy Spaniel Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, Picardy Spaniel Dogs score 0 out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
Can Picardy Spaniels Be A Watch Dog?
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Picardy Spaniel To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely notifies their owner to somebody coming close to their property. Even when your pet dog isn't a police canine, most barking dogs will discourage an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make wonderful watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are really observant of their surroundings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for novice dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are impressive guard dogs that will notify their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alert their owners to any uncommon activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the rookie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
Picardy Spaniel Information
The Picardy Spaniel is a docile breed of dog and is fond of playing with children and bonds well with their master. It is described as having a gentle sociable nature, possessing a good character and being relatively easy to train. In France, the breed is used for hunting in wooded areas for Pheasants, and in swamps for Snipes. However it can also be used for hunting ducks, hares and rabbits. The breed excels at hunting in marshes and will not hesitate to jump into water. It can also adequately serve as a retriever should it be required. The dog is content with a small amount of space and could suit life in the city, but also loves open spaces.
What to do if you lose your Picardy Spaniel
If your Picardy Spaniel Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Contact the local vet clinics to see if someone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Picardy Spaniel
If you find a Picardy Spaniel Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Shelter assigned to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and locate the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.