Can Rhodesian Ridgebacks Be Guard Dogs?
Considering to adopt a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy and want to know whether a Rhodesian Ridgeback can be a good watch dog or if Rhodesian Ridgeback Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, Rhodesian Ridgeback Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
Can Rhodesian Ridgebacks Be A Watch Dog?
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Rhodesian Ridgeback To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog simply alerts their owner to somebody approaching their property. Even if your pet dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are quite observant of their settings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a large German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for inexperienced canine owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are fantastic guard dogs that will alert their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any unusual activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the rookie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Information
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is the hound group's answer to a somewhat protective dog. Not only is it a keen and versatile hunter, but it is a loyal guardian. It is good with children, especially protective of those in its family, but it is sometimes overly boisterous in play for small children. It is strong-willed and powerful; some can become domineering. It is reserved with strangers and can be aggressive toward strange dogs and animals.
What to do if you lose your Rhodesian Ridgeback
If your Rhodesian Ridgeback Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Contact the nearby vet clinics to see if someone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Telephone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Rhodesian Ridgeback
If you find a Rhodesian Ridgeback Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Contact the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Shelter near to your suburb.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who can scan the animal’s microchip and locate the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.