Can Schapendoess Be Guard Dogs?
Wanting to own a Schapendoes puppy and need to know whether a Schapendoes can be a good watch dog or if Schapendoes Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, Schapendoes Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best guard dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Schapendoes To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog merely notifies their owner to somebody coming close to their home. Even if your pet dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make fantastic watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although small, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, feisty little terriers that are quite observant of their surroundings and will alarm their owners to any novel activity in no time. Because of this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. Although, they are not a good choice for rookie pet dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are impressive guard dogs that will inform their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alert their owners to any unusual activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the newbie owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
The breed standard describes the Schapendoes as friendly, high spirited, and affectionate. He is not a guard dog or aggressively protective, and if properly socialised while young, would most likely make a good family dog, as well as a good dog for active sports. Lively and intelligent dogs must receive regular training and outings. Temperament of individual dogs may vary. The Schapendoes is furthermore very independent and cooperate with its trainer rather than obey orders.
What to do if you lose your Schapendoes
If your Schapendoes Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Telephone the local vets to see if someone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Schapendoes
If you find a Schapendoes Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet Clinic who normally scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must call your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.