Can Shar-Peis Be Guard Dogs?
Wanting to get a Shar-Pei puppy and want to know whether a Shar-Pei can be a good watch dog or if Shar-Pei Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, Shar-Pei Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Shar-Pei To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog just simply alerts their owner to somebody coming close to their home. Even though your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't big. Most guard dogs also make terrific watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make great guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is mighty. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are really observant of their environments and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make outstanding watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a big German guard dog breed that is greatly loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a good choice for amateur dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are superb guard dogs that will notify their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any unusual activity. They are powerful dogs that are not well-suited for the novice owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
The Shar-Pei is self-assured, serious, independent, stubborn and very much self-possessed. Although not particularly demonstrative, it is devoted and very protective of its family. It is reserved, even suspicious, toward strangers. It can be aggressive toward other dogs and may chase livestock and other animals, although it is generally good with other family pets. The Shar-Pei needs daily mental and physical stimulation, but its needs can be met with lively games throughout the day or a good long walk. It is not generally amenable to exclusive outdoor living, but it can divide its time between house and yard. The coat needs only weekly brushing, but wrinkles need regular attention to ensure that no irritations develop within the skin folds.
What to do if you lose your Shar-Pei
If your Shar-Pei Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Telephone the local vets to see if someone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Call the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Shar-Pei
If you find a Shar-Pei Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Contact the Local Authority to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Pound assigned to your area.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet who normally scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.