Can Wetterhouns Be Guard Dogs?
Considering to own a Wetterhoun puppy and wondering whether a Wetterhoun can be a good watch dog or if Wetterhoun Dogs are protective of their owners?
According to pet trainers, Wetterhoun Dogs score out of 5 in the scale of breeds that are considered the best watch dogs.
This dog is not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training a Wetterhoun To Be a Watch Dog
A watch dog basically alarms their owner to someone approaching their home. Even when your dog isn't a police dog, most barking dogs will deter an intruder even if they aren't large. Most guard dogs also make wonderful watch dogs, but not all watch dogs make good guard dogs.
Top 5 Best Guard Dogs
2. Cairn Terrier - Although little, the Cairn Terrier is intense. They are strong-willed, fiery little terriers that are very observant of their settings and will notify their owners to any novel activity in no time. Due to this, they make excellent watch dogs.
3. Rottweiler - The Rottweiler is a huge German guard dog breed that is deeply loyal to its family but wary of strangers. However, they are not a great choice for novice dog owners.
4. German Shepherd - They are superb guard dogs that will notify their owners of any strangers just a little too close to their homes.
5. Akita - They will quickly alarm their owners to any uncommon activity. They are strong dogs that are not well-suited for the inexperienced owner, but are almost unparalleled in their loyalty to their owners.
This breed is an excellent gun dog, effective as both a land and water retriever, however its strong will and natural guarding abilities make early training a requirement. The breed standard describes the breed's temperament as reserved and "an ideal guard-dog". though never aggressive, which makes it an excellent family-dog. Although described as "strong willed" the Wetterhoun is never stubborn or wilfully disobedient. Perseverance is a much better term, because they finish what they started, whatever it takes. Imperturbable they finish what they think to be their task. Thereby the breed is sensitive and should never be treated or trained harshly. Brought-up and used to children, they are tolerant to children to the point where the dog should be protected against the children instead the other way around.
What to do if you lose your Wetterhoun
If your Wetterhoun Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Call the local vet clinics to see if anyone has brought in your missing pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Wetterhoun
If you find a Wetterhoun Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Shelter near to your suburb.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and locate the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.