Are Hokkaido Dogs Good For Apartments?
Are you living in an apartment unit or flat and thinking to get a Hokkaido Dog and need to know whether a Hokkaido Dog is suitable for your apartment?
Well, Hokkaido Dog scores out of 5 in the scale of apartment friendly dogs when it comes to other breeds.
The Ainu Dog is not recommended for apartment life. It is moderately active indoors and will do best with a large yard. They can live outdoors, for their warm coats protect them from the cold.
Top 5 Apartment-Friendly Canine Breeds
Personality, bark-levels and a low-energy count are all really good qualities to look for when on the hunt for a well-suited apartment pet dog. Below is a list of the best apartment frinedly breeds.
1. English Bulldog - Despite appearances, the English Bulldog is a cheerful dog that is more than happy to spend their days napping on the couch. They will rarely bark, and are terrific with children in spite of their stocky build which has them weighing upwards of 22kg!
2. Pug - Love them or hate them, the modest pug is a lively and faithful dog. Pugs are a social breed, so their ideal home would involve another dog or a lot of human interaction. The pug is content to laze about all day, making him the perfect apartment buddy.
3. Chihuahua - While the Chihuahua requires minimal exercise, making it ideal for a smaller home, it is very important that they receive appropriate training to avoid the yappy personality they are known for. Weighing as little as 1kg, they are effortlessly carried around which is handy for individuals who travel.
4. Dachshund - Also known as the 'sausage dog', this friendly breed is quite good with other pets and children. While they can at first be somewhat challenging to train, they only need a small amount of exercise, due to their small legs!
5. Boston Terrier - Another breed right due to their size, the Boston Terrier will call for a daily walk to stay happy, but they can be wonderful, affectionate breed who will remain mostly inactive while indoors.
Hokkaido Dog Information
The breed is known for fidelity to its owner, bravery, and the ability to withstand the cold, among other traits. It has an innate sense of direction and smell, and can therefore return to its master no matter how great the distance. Temperament will vary depending on the lineage and region of upbringing. They are good with children if they are raised with them from puppyhood and/or properly socialized. Children should be taught how to display leadership skills, and the dog should be taught to respect the child.
What to do if you lose your Hokkaido Dog
If your Hokkaido Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. List your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. List the lost pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups Here.
3. Contact the local vet clinics to see if anyone has handed in your lost pet.
4. Phone the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Pounds.
What to do if you find a lost Hokkaido Dog
If you find a Hokkaido Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Report the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Phone the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the animal to the local Animal Pound assigned to your suburb.
5. Take the pet to the local Vet Clinic who can scan the animal’s microchip and contact the registered owner of the pet.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.