Are Shih Tzus Good For Apartments?
Are you living in an apartment unit or flat and thinking to adopt a Shih Tzu and need to know whether a Shih Tzu Dog is suitable for your apartment?
Well, Shih Tzu scores out of 5 in the scale of apartment friendly dogs compare to other dog breeds.
The Shih Tzu is good for apartment life. These dogs are fairly active indoors and will do okay without a yard. This breed is sensitive to the heat.
Top 5 Apartment-Friendly Pet Dog Breeds
Personality, bark-levels and a low-energy count are all good traits to search for when on the hunt for an appropriate apartment pet dog. Below is a list of the best apartment frinedly breeds.
1. English Bulldog - Despite appearances, the English Bulldog is a happy dog that is more than happy to spend their days snoozing on the couch. They will rarely bark, and are fantastic with children in spite of their stocky build which has them weighing upwards of 22kg!
2. Pug - Love them or hate them, the modest pug is a playful and loyal dog. Pugs are a social breed, so their ideal home would involve another dog or plenty of human interaction. The pug is content to laze about all day, making him the perfect apartment friend.
3. Chihuahua - While the Chihuahua needs minimal exercise, making it perfect for a small home, it is very important that they receive appropriate training to avoid the yappy character they are known for. Weighing as little as 1kg, they are effortlessly carried around which is handy for people who travel.
4. Dachshund - Also known as the 'sausage dog', this friendly breed is quite good with other canines and children. While they can originally be somewhat difficult to train, they only need a small amount of exercise, due to their little legs!
5. Boston Terrier - Another breed great due to their size, the Boston Terrier will call for a daily walk to stay happy, but they can be fantastic, caring breed who will remain mostly inactive while indoors.
Shih Tzu Information
The spunky but sweet Shih Tzu is both a gentle lap dog and a vivacious companion. It has an upbeat attitude and loves to play and romp. It is affectionate to its family and good with children. It is surprisingly tough and does have a stubborn streak.
What to do if you lose your Shih Tzu
If your Shih Tzu Dog or any other pet has gone missing and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register your missing pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Report the lost pet on the Local Lost Pets Facebook Groups Here.
3. Visit the nearby vets to see if anyone has handed in your missing pet.
4. Contact the RSPCA or Visit the RSPCA Lost Pets website and complete a Lost Pet Report.
5. Visit Lost Pets Pages of Animal Shelters.
What to do if you find a lost Shih Tzu
If you find a Shih Tzu Dog or any other pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:
1. Register the found pet details at Pet Reunite website here.
2. Register the missing pet on the Local Facebook Lost Pets Groups.
3. Call the Local Council to collect the lost animal.
4. Take the pet to the local Animal Pound assigned to your suburb.
5. Take the animal to the local Vet who usually scan the animal’s microchip and locate the registered pet owner.
Laws Regarding Missing Pets
1. It is against the law to keep any animal that you find.
2. Pets are generally considered property and it is illegal to take and keep someone else’s property.
3. You must contact your local animal control unit and file a FOUND AN ANIMAL report for any dog or cat you find.
4. To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the animal shelter you must pay a release fee.
5. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home.